New comedy with Anne Heche! Premieres Thursday 8/7c. Preview now.
Go shopping now and follow along tonight...
12 ounces lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
5 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese (about 6 ounces)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish with butter, oil, or cooking spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, parboil the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a fork, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the salt and black pepper. Add spaghetti sauce and cream cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
4. Spoon ½ cup of meat sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with a single layer of noodles, 1 cup of sauce, ⅓ of the mozzarella, and ½ cup of Parmesan. Repeat the layering two more times, until all of the ingredients have been used, ending with a layer of mozzarella and Parmesan.
5. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until golden on top and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.
[Excerpt from "Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible", by Paula Deen.]