The Sound of Music
Special encore presentation tomorrow 8/7c. Watch the special online now.
Shrimp Scampi over Grilled Tomatoes
1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic paste or 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 large beefsteak tomatoes, halved horizontally
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1-1/2 pounds of very large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
Juice of 3 lemons
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat a grill pan/broiler/grill on high.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with 1/2 tablespoon of the garlic.
3. Brush the tomatoes with the garlic oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Grill until slightly charred all over, about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the butter and the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds. Do not allow garlic to brown.
5. Season the shrimp and pepper and add to pan. After about 1-1/2 minutes, flip shrimp and add lemon juice to the pan. Simmer until shrimp are just cooked through, about 1-1/2 more minutes. Add parsley to pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Place two tomato halves on each of four plates. Divide the shrimp evenly over the tomatoes. Generously spoon the sauce over the top of everything and serve.
*On-air, The Biggest Loser contestants made substitutions to some key ingredients in the recipes to limit the number of calories.