Vote now until 11AM ET for the Season 5 finalists!
Fried Scallops with Melted Onions
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 pound sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 egg whites
1 cup fine cornmeal
1-1/2 pounds large sea scallops (U-10 count, preferably)
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup canned diced tomato
Juice of half a lemon
4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1. Heat a medium saucepan over low heat. Add 3 tablespoons of the butter and onions to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until onions are soft, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Uncover and allow the water to evaporate. Onions should have the texture of marmalade.
2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. Spread the cornmeal over a plate. Toss the scallops in the egg whites until they are fully coated. Remove one scallop at a time, allowing the excess egg white to drip off, and dredge in the cornmeal. Shake off excess cornmeal and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and let it get hot. Carefully place scallops in the pan one at a time and fry until the first side is deep brown and crisped, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook on the second side until the interior is completely opaque and the outside is brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cover lightly with aluminum foil to keep warm.
4. Drain the oil from the sauté pan and dab clean with a paper towel. Set the pan over medium heat and add the remaining butter. When the milky white solids of the butter have browned, add the tomato and sauté 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the fried scallops over the melted onions with the tomato-lemon sauce spooned over all.
*On-air, The Biggest Loser contestants made substitutions to some key ingredients in the recipes to limit the number of calories.