Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"
Serves 3 to 4
You could do a big batch of this and reheat it as needed. It holds in the refrigerator four days.
- 1 large cauliflower (preferably organic)
- 4 to 5 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 tablespoons good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1. Set a collapsible steamer basket in a 6-quart pot. Add water to come just above the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, wash cauliflower and its leaves. Cut leaves into thin slices. Break cauliflower into flowerets.
2. Drop leaves onto the steamer and sprinkle lightly with salt. Add half the cauliflower, all the garlic, then remaining cauliflower. Sprinkle lightly with more salt. Cover and steam over medium high 8 minutes, or until cauliflower is so tender a knife just slips into it.
3. Drain in a colander, turn into a food processor fitted with the steel knife and puree with the butter and oil. Season to taste with pepper, nutmeg, and more salt if needed. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, and reheat later.