Serves 12 one-cup servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, small dice
5 leeks (whites only), small dice
4 stalks celery, small dice
1 small dried chili, seeded and halved
1 small sprig rosemary
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1cup / 240ml low sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 1/2 whole grain baguettes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (19 oz ounces each )
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Sweat onions in olive oil for 2 to 3 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add leeks, celery, chili, and rosemary and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until vegetables start to get a
light golden color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan, and deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add 1/2 cup oil, half of the thyme, chicken stock, and let reduce by half.
- Remove from heat, discard rosemary and chili from vegetables and
allow liquid and vegetable mix to cool slightly.
- While cooling, cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread and leek mixture.
- Sprinkle in remaining thyme, parsley, and egg. Mix well.
- Slowly start drizzling in the liquid mixture and mix thoroughly,
adding just enough liquid to moisten the bread.
- Once mixture is nice and moist, season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer stuffing to an oven safe dish and bake covered at 350F for
- Remove cover from dish, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes
or until golden brown on top.
Serving Size 1 cup
Total Fat 6g
Sat Fat 1g
Total Carb 33g
Dietary Fiber 6g