For the cabbage:
1-1/2 ounces Canadian bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
1 leek (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise then cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
One 1-pound head of cabbage, cored, cut into eighths
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup dry sherry
1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
For the pork:
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 onion, large dice
2 cloves garlic, chopped rough
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 medium size ripe tomatoes, medium dice
1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
One 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and sinew
- Sauté the bacon in a heavy large wide pot over medium heat until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.
- Add the carrots and leeks to the same pot and sauté until the leeks soften, about 3 minutes.
- Separate the cabbage leaves and add them to the pot. Cook until the cabbage wilts, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sherry and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer over medium-low heat until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon and season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the cabbage is cooking make the pork sauce: Preheat a barbecue grill for medium high heat.
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium high heat.
- Add the oil and sweat the onion for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the cumin and cook for 30 seconds stirring often.
- Add the vinegar and cook until the liquid has almost completely evaporated, then add the tomatoes and the chipotle peppers.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer gently for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the lime juice and puree the sauce in a blender until smooth.
- Season the pork tenderloin with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the spice rub over.
- Grill the pork tenderloin for 6 to 8 minutes turning as needed to cook evenly.
- Once the pork is almost cooked through, begin generously basting the pork with the chipotle sauce.
- Continue basting and cooking until the pork is just cooked through.
- Remove the pork from the grill and allow to rest.
- To serve, divide the cabbage evenly among the center of 4 plates.
- Slice the pork on an angle into thin slices and fan the sliced pork against the cabbage.
- Spoon some of the remaining sauce over and around the pork and serve.
Total Fat g 8
Sat Fat g 2
Cholesterol mg 80
Sodium mg 310
Total Carb g 23
Dietary Fiber g 6
Sugar g 11
Protein g 30