The Sound of Music
Special encore presentation tomorrow 8/7c. Watch the special online now.
The Biggest Loser Eating Plan - What It Is
I'm often asked, "What can I do to help me lose weight and/or improve my health?" I'd definitely make my recommendations based on a list of common denominators that helped overweight contestants win a place on The Biggest Loser. As the nutritionist for 10 seasons of the show, I've identified the key factors that have helped America earn its top ranking among obese nations of the world.
I found that most of our contestants:
1. Had absolutely no idea how many calories their body really needs (and how many more they're actually taking in).
2. Skipped breakfast and often, many other meals.
3. Didn't eat enough fruit or vegetables.
4. Didn't eat enough protein (lean protein).
5. Didn't eat enough whole grains.
6. Ate too much white stuff: white flour, white pasta, white sugar, white rice, simple carbs.
7. Didn't feel they had time to plan ahead. They found themselves grabbing something quick for a meal, often consumed in the car or at their desk.
8. Often had enough calories in beverages alone to meet their daily caloric needs - but didn't drink enough water.
9. Didn't exercise enough, if at all.
10. Prioritized their spouse, partner, children and/or jobs over their own health and well-being.
These 10 factors helped us to create the Biggest Loser Eating Plan, which is based on the following recommendations:
1. Learn your body's calorie needs - you must burn off more calories than you're taking in.
2. Don't skip meals; you must develop a regular eating schedule of three meals and two to three snacks per day.
3. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
4. Eat plenty of lean protein.
5. Eliminate white stuff: white flour, white pasta, white sugar, white rice and simple carbs.
6. Choose whole grains.
7. Plan ahead. Your meals, your snacks and your exercise. As Jillian has said, if you don't plan ahead, you plan to fail.
8. EAT your calories - with the exception of milk.
9. Include exercise as part of your weight-loss plan.
10. Prioritize your health and well-being; if you don't have your health, you can't take care of your loved ones.
Season 10 contestant Burgandy's calorie budget was determined to be approximately 1,200 calories. The way for her to divide those calories up throughout the day is to divide 1200 by 4 = 300 calories.
Breakfast = 300 calories
Lunch = 300 calories
Dinner = 300 calories
Two snacks = 300 calories divided by 2 = 150 calories per snack
She can choose to have her two 150-calorie snacks in the morning, afternoon or evening - whatever works best for her schedule and energy level.
For more nutrition tips and recipes visit Cheryl's blog, click here.