Name: Detective Olivia Benson
Division: Special Victims Unit, 16th Precinct
Shield Number: 4015
Quick Profile: Det. Olivia Benson is passionate and dedicated to protecting victims. This stems from her own past, being the child of her mother's rape. With seemingly infinite compassion, she seeks first and foremost to comfort victims and empower them to rebuild their lives. But her empathy comes at a price: as well as finding her life consumed by her job, she has suffered her own traumas in the line of fire.
- Siena College
- Partial fluency in Italian, Spanish and French.
- 13+ years on the police force with the Special Victims Unit
- Current Partner:
Detective Nick Amaro. He is a transfer from Warrants and Narcotics and has earned Detective Benson's trust through his strong intuition and lifesaving timing.
- Former Partners:
• Detective Elliot Stabler. He often served as the more aggressive, forceful balance to Benson's empathic personality.
• Training Officer Karen Smythe. Detective Benson's primary training officer with the Special Victims Unit.
• Detective Brian Cassidy. Benson had a brief, intimate relationship with fellow SVU Detective Brian Cassidy before he left the division.
• Assistant District Attorney David Haden
Benson is currently forming a relationship with Assistant District Attorney David Haden.
• Nick Ganzner
Benson had a relationship with reporter Nick Ganzner from the New York Ledger, but quickly ended the romance when he wanted to act out a rape fantasy. Ganzner would later steal confidential case documents from Benson, which landed her in trouble with Captain Cragen.
• Kurt Moss
Benson had a several month personal relationship with journalist Kurt Moss in 2007 before breaking up.
- Mother: Serena Benson (deceased)
Conceived Olivia after being raped by Joseph Hollister. An English professor and alcoholic who died when she fell down a flight of subway stairs in a drunken stupor.
- Father: Joseph Hollister (deceased)
Joseph Hollister was a food salesman who raped and impregnated Serena Benson.
- Half-Brother: Simon Marsden
Simon Marsden was previously arrested on charges of rape, but all charges were dropped after it was revealed Police Captain Julia Millfield was framing him. He is currently on parole and forbidden from seeing his children after being charged with child neglect and trying to flee the state with his kids.
- Niece: Olivia Marsden
- Guardianship (revoked): Calvin Arliss
Named parental guardian of Calvin Arliss after his mother, Vivian Arliss, abandoned the child due to her drug use and suspicion of murder. Benson's parental guardianship was later revoked and placed under Calvin's paternal grandparents, although Benson and Calvin remain in constant contact.
- Benson suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. This occurred from an undercover operation at a women's prison where she was tasked to find a rapist who worked on the prison staff. She was nearly forcibly raped by the suspect before being saved by another undercover operative.